Font 15th Century
Every medieval church contained a font. Our font continues to play an important part in baptism services
The 15th century octagonal font is made of Reigate stone, each panel carved with a quatrefoil enclosing a diamond shaped foliage ornament.
The polished oak font cover is not the original.
The font is regularly used for baptism services.
the repositioning of the font
Every medieval church contained a font. It was close to the main entrance of the church in an area known as the baptistry. However fonts were often moved elsewhere in the church, as is the case with this one.
The Parish Records of 1871-1892, held at the Surrey History Centre, indicate that the font was moved from near the Chancel steps to the North Aisle in 1891.
In 1997 it was again moved to under the Tower arch, before being moved as part of the Making History project completed in 2020. From its current location in the nave between the first and second pillars of the North Aisle, there are improved sight lines to the font for Baptismal services.
Get In Touch
01372 362 544
(Staffed Wed-Fri 9am to noon)
The Parish Office, Parish Church Hall, Church Road, Leatherhead,
Surrey, KT22 8BD