Leatherhead Medieval Festival
This event is on 21 Sep 2019 11:00am
Leatherhead Swan Centre, , KT22 8AH
For one day only, step back in time to the medieval town of Leatherhead. This medieval themed festival includes battling knights, music, arts, crafts, and a chance to ‘punish’ locals in the pillory! Come in fancy dress to take part in the procession.
Our FREE medieval themed festival in the town centre celebrates our historic medieval church and the 25th anniversary of Heritage Open Days in and around Leatherhead.
Witness battling knights take to the stage with a whirlwind display of flashing swords, flails, maces and axes. But who will triumph in the end?
Turn up in fancy dress to participate in the knight’s procession and perhaps even win the fancy dress competition. Alternatively, be part of the crowd to watch this incredible spectacle and enjoy the street market.
There will also be opportunities for your little ones to:
- Follow our competition trail;
- Experience the dress up corner;
- Make crowns, helmets or headbands;
- Hear tales of times gone by.
11:00 Knights Battle
11:30 Armament of a Medieval Knight (1) - A knight’s armour will be put on piece by piece by his squire with an explanation of what each piece of armoury and weaponry does.
11:45 Fancy Dress Competition (meet outside theatre)
12:00 Procession up the High Street
12:30 Medieval Dancing & Court Life (2)
12:45 Old English & Irish Folk Songs (Hedley Kay)
13:00 Knights Battle
13:30 Archery in the Middle Ages (3) - A look at the crossbow and arrows and the damage they would have inflicted on the enemy.
14:00 Knights Battle
14:30 Your Request - Choose which of the three sessions you’d like to see again 1,2 or 3!
- Knight’s Battles take place in the arena in the High Street (near Travelodge)
- Entertainment sessions take place on the stage (outside Book Potato)
- Surrey Hills DJs will be playing a medieval playlist in the intervals!
- Pillories (12:30-3:00pm) (Outside Sainsburys/Costa)
- Children’s Corner outside Boots (Swan Centre) Craft activities & Dress up (12:30-3:00pm)
- Storytime at Book Potato – times to be confirmed
- Visit the Medieval Encampment in the Swan Centre from 10am – 3pm to meet the Paladins and ask your questions. Look at their display of all things Medieval, as well as opportunities to put on helmets, hold swords and other weaponry.
- Competition Trail forms available (from the Making History stall in the Children’s Corner)
This event will also include the launch of Mole Valley Arts Alive 2019 with the virtuositic folk experience Cabareilidh from 10am.